Re: Canon LIDE-90 scanner

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 10:43:40AM +0000, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> On 12 Feb at 8:35 Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote in message
> <[🔎] 20080212083535.GI1528@acampbell.org.uk>
> > On 11 Feb 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > > On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:06:58PM -0500, ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:
> > Apparently flatbed scanners are no longer  being made - I don't know why.
>
> No longer cost-effective. People are buying combined scanner-printers at a
> price similar to what each seperate device would cost on its own a couple of
> years ago.
>
> I'm just waiting for either my scanner or printer to die, so that I can
> justify buying one of those nice HP C6200 units...

I look at it a different way.  Take as an example an older scanner that
does 1024 dpi.  That's 1 Mpixel per square inch.  Scan an 8x10 photo and
you have 80 Mpixel.  The best 35 mm slide film (Kodachrome 25 iso) is
only 18 Mpixel.  It got to the point that you can't sell things where
the specs stay the same.  To make them higher is pointless.  Image
quality, contrast, etc, is hard to quantify in such a way as to make it
marketable, therefore a high-quality scanner for the masses is useless.

"Normal" people will use an all-in-one.  Any wanting quality will either
just use a good digital camera with a flat-plate and polarized light
setup, or a dedicated overhead scanner.

Doug.