Re: Check/Get all files (not) belonging to packages

On 2008-02-11 18:57 +0100, Tobias Nissen wrote:

> 1.
> Is there a tool that lists all files _not_ belonging to an installed
> package? I mean something more clever than just executing a dpkg -S for
> each file... (which is madness!)

Have a look at the `cruft' package.  Disclaimer: I haven't tried it yet,
though it is on my todo list to check my system for remnants of old
packages.

> 2.
> Is there a tool that compares each file belonging to an installed
> package to the corresponding file in the actual package? Put simply, I
> want to check whether a file has been modified, compared to its
> package-counterpart.

The `debsums' package will do that for you.  Most packages ship md5sums
of their files, and debsums can create a list of md5sums for the few
packages that do not provide one.

Sven