Re: Linux network security poll

Zach:

> I need to get serious about security since I will be soon connected to
> the net almost 24x7 (barring a power outage etc.) so I was wondering
> if list members could explain their security setup (network
> configuration, DMZ, firewalls, IDS, logging, etc.).

I just have a router between the internet and my clients. It forwards
two or three ports to another machine (SSH, http, ...) and otherwise is
busy NATting. That's it.

> Also what would
> you recommend for someone like me who is still on an entry level in
> terms of my understanding of Linux and network security and what would
> recommend for later on down the road once I get more sophisticated?

The most important thing for you is to get a basic knowledge about
TCP/IP and the theory behind it (ISO/OSI model). If you have that, the
rest is just about picking the tool you want to use. It probably never
hurts to learn how to use iptables directly before you start using
frontends for it.

J.
--
In an ideal world I would cure poverty and go to the gym at least three
days a week.