Re: wrapper script issue

> #!/bin/sh
> export RUBYOPT=rubygems
> exec /etc/alternatives/ruby1.8 "$@"

Do you really want to quote the argument list?

I got that directly from the debian policy manual example.  I didn't do it for any real reason.  I'm not scripter, so I'm unaware of how this would impact stuff.

I'd suggest putting your wrapper into
/usr/local/bin/, or somewhere other than /usr/bin/, so that it doesn't
risk colliding with packaged software.  I have a /usr/bin/ruby1.8
on my system, and it's clearly not your wrapper.  Or maybe I'm just
misunderstanding something...

I did install ruby1.8 with apt, and it put the ruby1.8 binary in that location.  The wrapper, as I said, is suggested by the debian policy manual as the way to set a environment variable that you want set for that application.