Re: rsync 10 times slower in Etch than in Sarge!

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

> IIRC it's an issue with vfat file systems and the "sync" mount option in
> 2.6 kernels.  I noticed the same phenomenon when I switched from 2.4 to
> 2.6;

I see...

> the solution is not to use the "sync" option, that also increases
> your drive's lifetime.

I put the `sync' option just to avoid drive corruption.  If it is
necessary to toggle it off, how can I be sure the process is terminated
before I unmount the drive?

> You may want to add "sync" as the last command in
> your backup script do avoid data loss.

I looked into `sync' manual but couldn't find out how to use this
command.  What should I say instead of
`rsync -vr --delete Mail News /mnt/sda'?

Thanks for your help
Rodolfo