Re: external drive as partial mirror

Quoth Preston Boyington:
> I have been given an external drive and was wondering if there would be
> a problem with my making it a partial mirror.  Does the mirror require
> any particular permissions or can I leave the drive Fat32?

I think there are ways to mount a Fat32 with any given UID, problems is, as you
mentioned, the permissions, which will get screwed up for sure.

There are several concerns about Fat32 anyways: no journalling, so if it's a
busy mirror with read-write access... baaad. Especially as an external.
Performance? Fat32 is a worst-case scenario - again, if your mirror ain't that
busy, there's no problem, but here's some doubt it'll be able to serve a busy
server reliably.

Why don't you just format it with a proper FS? I use ext3 for all my externals -
if they need to be accessed with a Windows PC or a Mac, there's some OK drivers
for them, and they mostly work. Fat32 is really just a fishy compromise.

Aleks