Re: Something accessing hard drive

On 2 Dec, 02:30, "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtu...@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 03:24:02AM -0800, JoseC.Rodrig...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I have set myharddriveto standby after a given time through laptop-
> > mode. The hd actually passes to standby mode but only for half a
> > second or so after which it spins up again.  As far as I can tell I have configured syslog.conf
> > in a way that log daemons will not sync after each minor event.
> > Is there a way to track down what isaccessingthedrive?
>
> You may needsomethinglike noflushd.  Don't know if its on sid.  When
> activated, it keeps the filesystem from syncing to disk unnecessarily.
>
> Doug.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I solved it following the directions found
in the laptop-mode website FAQ:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump

which enables checking disk activity through dmesg. It turned out that
I hadn't put the "-" sign before EVERY log file name in /etc/
syslog.conf...

I took a look at noflushd, but apparently it can't handle journaling
file systems for they bypass the kernel's delayed write mechanism (*).
Oh, well, it works now anyway.

Thanks!

(*) http://noflushd.sourceforge.net/