Re: Driver loaded, now, how do I access the camera? (SOLVED)

Marc Shapiro wrote:
OK. I Manually downloaded the gspca-source module and did 'm-a update' and when I went through the steps it seemed to build OK, but did not load. Silly me! Once I unplugged the camera and re-plugged it in, the driver loaded just like it ought to. At least is seems to have done so. Running lsmod shows the gspca module and a few other new modules. Dmesg shows:

usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
Linux video capture interface: v2.00
/usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c: USB SPCA5XX camera found. (SPCA501 )
/usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c: [spca5xx_probe:3887] Camera type YUYV /usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c: [spca5xx_getcapability:1165] maxw 640 maxh 480 minw 160 minh 120
usbcore: registered new interface driver gspca
/usr/src/modules/gspca/gspca_core.c: gspca driver 01.00.04 registered

So my drivers seem to be loaded. Now, how do I access the camera, so that I can capture an image to be processed? I am currently thinking of using opencv through either C/C++ or Python. How would I access the camera to generate an image (probably jpeg) that I could then save to disk or, preferably, pipe to opencv?

OK. I have a C program using opencv that opens a jpeg file , inverts it and displays it. I had tried to modify it to grab a frame from the camera, instead of a file, but it had not worked, hence, my last post. Today I tried again and now it seems to be working just fine. I didn't do anything different, but it is working now, so I am happy.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get the correct driver compiled and loaded.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com