Re: Sending email using Alpine and gmail

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Andrei Popescu wrote:

To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Sending email using Alpine and gmail

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 01:17:12PM +0000, Peter Tynan wrote:
I'm trying to configure Alpine to send email either using gmails smtp ser=
ver or the local mail-server (exim4 configured to use gmails smtp server vi=
a smarthost).

Very interesting, and how is it going?

Regards,
Andrei
--

Oops, I did not meant to send the above post, I was writing it using mailx
just to prove that the smarthost was working - I guess I managed that.

As to how it goes, well I just could not get Alpine working with
exim4/smarthost but I have got it working with the gmail smtp server
working.

With regards to the gmail smtp server below is a list of what did
not and what did work with Alpine 0.9999

First, what worked:     smtp.gmail.com/submit/user=your.username@gmail.com

Next what did not work: smtp.gmail.com/user=your.username@gmail.com
                       	smtp.gmail.com:587/tls/user=your.username@gmail.com
                       	smtp.gmail.com:587/ssl/user=your.username@gmail.com
                       	smtp.gmail.com:995/tls/user=your.username@gmail.com
                       	smtp.gmail.com:995/ssl/user=your.username@gmail.com
                       	smtp.gmail.com/ssl/user=your.username@gmail.com
                       	smtp.gmail.com/tls/user=your.username@gmail.com

Anyway I hope that the above will be of use to some poor devil googling
away like a madman in the future.

Regards

Peter