Re: Programmers Text Editor

On Nov 3, 2007 2:02 PM, Richard <cms0009@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking to get into programming for linux,
> would like to do: Java, Perl & Lisp
>
> What editors (IDE or RAD) environment application would work
> or if needed to run 2 or 3 different editors that would be fine too.
>
> (please no: emacs or vi (or command line apps)
>
> wanting something that would be better than xcode on the mac,
> which contain all libraries, and syntax for dozen of languages,
> it just made it easier to type and see a drop down command choice,
> from the contextual menu. with a built-in debugger..neat.

I am not much of a programmer, and I haven't used XCode, but
I don't think you will find anything comparable to XCode on Linux.
OS X is developed entirely by one company from top to bottom,
and it is guided by one man's vision. XCode is developed by the
same company.

"Linux", on the other hand, is a bundle of hundreds or thousands
of separate parts, all developed by different companies,
organizations, or individuals. Many of the components have the
same or overlapping goals. "Linux" is a huge, messy ecosystem
of software, and it would be just about impossible to create an
IDE that is to Linux as XCode is to OS X.

Anyway, besides the previously mentioned KDevelop, Eclipse
and NetBeans, there is Ajunta (Gnome), IntelliJ IDEA (proprietary,
costs $), JBuilder (costs $, built on Eclipse), and Komodo
(free and $ versions). There are others but those are some of
the most well known (also, each one of those does not
necessarily support all of [Java, Lisp, Perl]).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers