Re: Installer stops (freezes) when scanning hardware

Hello Kamaraju,

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll take the time to investigate
all the avenues you suggest and see what I can learn.

On Saturday 03 November 2007 21:35, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> memtest - to check for bad memory.
> badblocks - to check for bad blocks on the hard drive.
> I dont know how check faults in other hardware other than replacing
> it with a different one testing them.
>
> Pop in a Knoppix CD and see if it detects any of these or related
> problems before proceeding with Debian.

I'll check all this and report here, though I remember checking
memtest before. I'll do it again.

> Which image are you using? Are you using the net install image or
> the CDs from Debian website or CDs supplied by a third party vendor
> ...? I would suggest to use the latest net install image (of either
> stable or testing) and see if you can overcome this hurdle.

It's the latest 1 CD .iso from the debian site (4.0-rev1). I checked
the md5 sums of the burned CD.

> Log files. Have you checked the appropriate log files for errors?
> For X related problems, I would look into
> ~/.xsession-errors, /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> Other log files of interest are /var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog
> etc.,
>
> I don't know Mandriva follows the same convention in terms of file
> names, but you get my drift...

Yes.
I remember checking the logs at one time and didn't find anything
helpful... but I certainly will check again.

> To tell you the truth, I skipped your post initially since you were
> asking problems related to Mandriva on a debian specific list. But
> looking at your other post in different thread made me come back
> here and offer my 2 cents.

:)

I had mentioned in the first sentence of my first post that I sought
help with installing *Debian*, but the Mandriva problems seemed
relevant, that's why I included them. Anyway: thanks for checking
back on my post. :)

> Are you using SATA by any chance? I remember seeing similar issue
> with SATA hard drives but the problem went away once I used the
> latest images.

No.
PATA.
I believe my hardware is all plain, that was already mainstream a few
years ago when I bought it.

For the rest, see my reply to the other thread:
"I value your time :)   - Re: Other avenues to get help"

Thank you very much. I'll check everything you suggest and come back
to you later with more details.

Blessings,

--
Augustin