Re: "Waiting for root file system..." hang solved

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 03:33:06PM -0700, cls@truffula.sj.ca.us wrote:
> [This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
> In article <9l0Hy-3FQ-5@gated-at.bofh.it>, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> >
> > Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:
> > [snip upgrade instructions]
> >
> > Thanks for posting your experience! I am sure it will be useful to others.
> >
> >> You could have a debate about whether this is an installer
> >> bug, a kernel package bug, a udev bug, or operator error.
> >
> > If I understand correctly, you upgraded the kernel and the new kernel
> > would not boot. Then it would be a kernel bug.
>
> That was my initial conclusion.  But then I spent some time
> googling for the error messages.  A lot of people have had this
> same hang, and most of them got there by some other path than I did.
> So I think it may be a more general problem than that.
>
> My friend in Los Angeles tried to install Ubuntu for a friend,
> and got stuck "waiting for root file system" in the middle of
> a fresh install from CD.  When he booted his trusty Knoppix CD
> it revealed the root file system was just fine.  I suspect udev
> device names are less persistent than we have assumed they are.

yeah, this is probably *not* a kernel bug but more likely either a
udev bug or initramsf-tools bug. Something got changed there in the
device naming and that's not really the kernel's fault, so far as I
know.

BTW, were you able to boot through the busybox? I've had to learn my
way around that having just reconfigured my laptop. The critical item
is the contents of $ROOT. The value of $ROOT gets set by the kernel
command line and if it doesn't match, then you have trouble. If you
change that to the appropriate value you can then 'exit' busybox and
the boot will carry on. Once you're up and running, then rebuil the
initrd's.