Re: Apt-Get or Aptitude

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 11:09:07AM -0800, Ken Irving wrote:

> That sounds good, but is it different now than it used to be?  I haven't
> tried it lately, but it used to "seem" to want to remove lots of things.
> I'm aware of the workarounds (keep-all or whatever), have followed most
> of the threads (even instigated some...), but am still a command-line
> apt-get user waiting for a reason to change.  Two problems I have with
> aptitude are the lack of "source" functionality and my inability to spell
> it as easily as apt-get. ;-)

Add an alias so that aptitude="apty" or "capt" (curses apt), or even
"aptgod".

The best reason, to me, to change, is the CUI.  I have it _not_ include
recommends by default but after the first 'g', it shows a list of
recommends and suggests for each package.  Its also nice to see what it
wants to do when you're doing something tricky.  It also means no more
cruft buildup.  The first thing I do after a minimal install (not tasks
selected) is run aptitude and get things marked 'A' unless I know I want
it.

Doug.