Re: Silly question: Where's eth0?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 10:35:10PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 01:23:38PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > > Looks like my last post didn't make it here. I had a solid, dependable
> > > working MB NIC until a couple of weeks ago, when Sid suddenly started
> > > renaming it to eth1 during boot (without explanation) and then saying eth0
> > > didn't exist. I didn't notice (not exactly the kind of thing you expect),
> > > disabled it and installed a PCI card, then when that didn't work, had to
> > > alter my interfaces file to eth1. I think the MB NIC is probably not
> > > faulty, but I'm short of time at the moment and it isn't urgent.
> > >
> > > Not exactly standard Debian behaviour, or at least it wasn't once.
> >
> > well. I'm silly for jumping into this, but the important word above is
> > 'Sid'.
> >
> > I suspect that's 'nuff said. :)
>
> There's probably some way to get udev to be consistant with device
> names.  If you know the module that gets installed, I wonder if putting
> it in /etc/modules would cause it to name consistantly.
>
> Also, I vaguely remember that pre-udev, pre-devfs, there was a way to
> identify the unit-number based on MAC address when the module was
> loaded.  I think it was aliases in /etc/modules.conf.  That file doesn't
> exist on my box.  So I guess you'll have to learn about udev to get
> persistant naming.

I think there is pretty good persistent netowrk interface naming at
this point. I was just pointing out that the OP above was complaining
about it not working in sid... which is pretty standard expectation
for Debian behavior.

Regardless, though, its pretty straightforward to get persistent
naming provided you can get some bit of unique info about the device
out of the kernel. Once that's done, you *can* make a symlink with a
good name that will always point to the desired device, regardless of
what that device might be named...

not at my usual machine to provide a link to the udev rules tutorial,
but its pretty easy to find.