Re: mdadm segfaults - failed upgrade to Lenny - drops to busybox/initramfs SOLVED

Following Martin's suggestion as to how to use grml

[Example instructions set out below for the clueless as to how to
recover/panicked people/those who need this in a hurry from finding
this as a desperate Google search]

grml will recognise an existing mdadm array if given

	mdadm -A /dev/md0

Mounted the drive

	mount -t ext3 /dev/md0 /mnt/

I couldn't get the chroot to work (couldn't find zsh) - so tar'red up
the two copies (there was an old copy around) of the home directories I
needed and used grml-network to set up the network card.

	cd /mnt/home

	tar -pcvf andyhome2.tar /home/amacater

scp copied the files across to a remote machine.

	scp andyhome2.tar 192.168.1.102:/home/amacater/

	scp andyhome.tar 192.168.1.102:/home/amacater/

an untar for both tar files in separate directories followed by rsync
-avz from one to the other and I had a home directory structure
containing files from both copies.

	mkdir andyhome

	mkdir andy2home

(Copy the two tar files to their respective directories then tar -xvf
*tar later)

	cd andyhome/amacater

	rsync -pavz ../andy2home/amacater/* .

If I'd thought, I'd have saved all my mail by tarring up
/var/spool/mail/amacater as a separate item - but
there's not much I've lost.

Hope this helps someone else in a jam at some point.

All the very best,

Andy