Re: Hard Drive hdb becomes hdf - Resolved

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 04:21:18PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I built a new computer with two hard drives and installed XP Home
> Edition on the first drive.  The second drive contains my Debian system
> - kernel 2.6.17 and Testing.  I intended to use disc 1 of a Sarge
> installation set as a rescue disk to access hdb and run lilo to convert
> this box to a dual boot box.
>
> boot: rescue=/dev/hdb5 failed.
>
> During the load
>
>    "Partition Check
>       hdd
>      hde: hde1
>      hdf: hdf1,hdf2 < hdf5, hdf6, hdf7, hdf8 >"
>

> The motherboard is KA3 MVP and the processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3800.

Booted up with grml_0.9.  The partitions are where they should be - i.e.

hda1
hdb1 hdb2 <hdb5, hdb6, hdb7, hdb8 >

Running grml I mounted hdb1 and used vi to edit lilo.conf use the mount
points set up by grml and then ran lilo to make a dual boot system from
hda.

Rebooted the system from the first hard drive bringing up Testing with a
2.6.17 kernel.  Re-edited lilo.conf use the standard mount points and
rebooted again.  Eveything works but there remain two problems.

First, the other CD based systems - bbc-2.1, Knoppix_v3.3 and DSL -
fail.  I believe this is because I can only boot from a CD if I edit
BIOS to specify a particular device - the dvdrw or the cdrw - in the
boot sequence.  There is an option for a cdrom but who has one of those
any more.  Still I believe that the CD based systems fail trying to
read this nonexistant device.  Only grml stays with the drive from which
it is booted.

Second, I have no idea why the Sarge rescue disk thinks the hard drives
are hde and hdf.  When I have cleaned up all the mess I have made
putting the new system together I'll download a Testing CD and try its
rescue program.

Tom