Re: wine - resource hog

--- Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2007 9:31 PM, joseph lockhart
> <jwl_andlovesaidno@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > just wondering if anyone else has trouble using
> wine?
> > everytime that i install it, i cannot get the
> program
> > that i would like to use with it to work (so far
> > windows media player 9, realplayer 10, and a few
> other
> > programs that my wife wanted me to try and install
> for
> > her).
>
> RealPlayer 10 is available as a native Linux
> program. You can get
> it from real.com or you can add debian-multimedia to
> your apt
> repos.

yes thank you, i have found this and have it
installed, works for what i need it for (which is
previewing accompanyment tracks from a website)

http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/debian/debian-multimedia/
> sid main
>
> The debian-multimedia.org website has other mirrors
> you can use.
>
> By getting some packages from debian-multimedia it
> is possible
> to play all media types with native Linux media
> players such as
> GXine, MPlayer, VLC, Kaffeine or Totem. The only
> real reason to use
> WMP or Real would be for familiarity.
>

> > in fact all that i have been able to get to work
> > with wine is notepad (which is of little use).
> however
> > top shows wine gobbling up resources even when it
> is
> > not running anything, dpkg shows an error on any
> > attempt to reconfigure so i always end up removing
> > wine after a couple of days. however, i do wonder
> why
> > it acts that way
>
> What are you system specs? What Debian version are
> you using, and what Wine version?

right now i have two partitions. one with kubuntu 7.10
and one with etch, though i have also tried it in DSL
4.0, mandriva one 2008, and openSUSE 10.3 all with
similar results

> Once installed, try adjusting your settings in
> winecfg.
>

> I have only used Wine for a few games, such as
> StarCraft, but
> performance is not usually a major problem for me. I
> use the
> 3rd party Ubuntu Wine packages, because they are
> more
> up-to-date, sometimes much more.
>
> If you want to try this, add
>
> deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt feisty main
>
> to your /etc/apt/sources.list file. I think feisty
> is the correct
> release to go with etch. Right now, for Lenny
> (testing) and
> Sid I use gutsy.
>

> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers

thanks for the reply, personally i don't *want* to use
wine for anything, however the wife needs it for a few
things (see previous reply on this same thead) and
when i try to do it for her i end up with a slug of a
machine. i'll post system info on another post

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799
Registered Kubuntu User #19678
this user is penguin powered