dvgrab doesn't

With my old system dvgrab controlled my Sony Digital 8 video camera with no problems. I upgraded to a new motherboard and a Athlon 64 processor, Lenny and a linux-image-2.6.22-3-amd64 kernel. The new motherboard does not have a firewire port so I added a pci firewire card (NEC single-chip IEEE 1394 controller uPD72874). When I connect the video camera I get the following messages:

   firewire_core:: phy config: card 0, new root=ffc1, gap_count=5
   firewire_core:  created new fw device fw1 (0 config rom retries)

When I next enter the command:

   dvgrab --format raw --autosplit --size 100 take-

I get the response:

 raw1394 - failed to get handle: no such file or directory

I tried changing the command by adding --card 0 and got the same response.

Is there some further setup for dvgrab which will solve this problem?

Tom George