Re: keyboard remapping

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 08:10:24PM +0000, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I'm running Debian unstable on AMD64. I have X and (for the time
> being), GNOME. My locales are en_US.UTF-8, although i'd rather they
> were pt_PT.UTF-8 by default. My keyboard map is portuguese, it has
> deadkeys. In particular, the ^ key. If i press ^ and e, i'll get ê.
> I'd like to do the same with 6 other letters and there are 3 ways.

[..]
> Please do not quote my whole message when replying.

LOL :-)

To change your locale setting, as root type:
dpkg-reconfigure locales

You can configure and change your default system locale from there.

If you choose 'none' as the default (so different users can have their
own locale setting) you can put:
export LC_CTYPE="pt_PT.UTF-8"
in your .bashrc, just make sure you choose pt_PT.UTF-8 from the list of
locales to generate.

If you use mutt this can cause problems with those little arrows in the
index view which is a real PITA in which case you also need to generate
the en_US locale, set the LC_CTYPE variable to that and maybe set the
LC_LANG variable to pt_PT.UTF-8 but I'm not too sure because I haven't
played around with configuring for different languages yet, but I do
know that choosing a UTF locale messes up those little arrows. :-(

TIP - use export LC_COLLATE="C" to keep your directory listings in a
more readable format.

"man bash" has _all_ the details.

--
Chris.