Re: Anyone using Debian on notebook?

On Dec 18, 2007 11:06 AM, Ivan Savcic <isavcic@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2007 5:50 AM, js <ebgssth@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thank you all!
> >
> > Conclusion:
> >
> > Pros:
> > - It's Debian!
> > - It's Free!
> > - Great environment for Programming (better than ssh to linux development style)
> > - More open source softwares support
> >
> > Cons:
> > - might harder to get your devices working. wifi, printer, dual
> > display, iPod etc.
> > - lost lots of OSX goodies (beautiful fonts, expose, widgets,
> > spotlight, sleep mode etc.)
> > - lost vendor's support
>
> - not bleeding edge enough for desktop role (compare to Ubuntu)

how much better is Ubuntu compared with Sid?  Recently I have a hard
time trying to install Debian-amd64 on a Toshiba A215-S7413 (cannot
use the ATI driver to use X, need to use vesa instead, no sound with
hours of googling, decided to stop and take a break before going on
working on the wireless card, I couldn't even shutdown properly
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-kernel@lists.debian.org/msg31118.html).
 Before I have already installed Debian-i386 on two Toshiba without
any major problems (I don't use hibernate or suspense so didn't bother
to try).

Is it because of the amd64 version or just because the combination of
the wireless/sound/video card is not debian-friendly?  I should have
been more careful picking the right laptop though (maybe before having
two easy experience on Toshiba laptops made me think all Toshiba
laptops are easy with debian ... ).

well, just want to share some experience ...

Manu