Re: FreeAgent USB HDD (update)

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 11:01:54PM +0100, Wim De Smet wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2007 9:18 PM, andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> > I rebooted and then once I went into the filesystem I saw that the
> > system recognised it, but did not automount it. This is something that I
> > have noticed in the last while - USB data sticks are not being
> > automounted the way they used to be (although, I cannot determine a
> > turning point in this). They used to trigger an icon to be placed on my
> > Gnome desktop once I inserted the stick but now I have to manually open
> > the filesystem and click on the USB drive to mount it. I have double
> > checked my prefs under Gnome for storage devices, and the option to
> > automount and auto-browse are selected, so I don't know what is going on
> > with that.
> >
> > Anyway, crisis with the FreeAgent drive is over. Now I only have this
> > mild curiosity re: the automount/auto-browse issue. Anyone have some
> > light to shine on this?
>
> This could be for a number of reasons. Most likely first choice would
> be the gnome settings about removable devices. If somehow they got set
> to not mount the device automatically that would be a problem. Your
> user needs to be in the plugdev group (check with groups <username>),
> hald and udev need to be properly installed and running. hald needs
> certain libraries which may or may not be bugged, upgrade everything
> involved to the latest version you can and try again.

I've lost the beginnings of this thread, but there was a recent story
about Seagate FreeAgent drives being (intentionally?) designed to
*not* work with Linux.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/09/0651200

I actually emailed SeaGate as I've been using their drives very
happily for a couple of years (can't beat 5yr warranty for the price)
and was really disappointed by this development. I told them I
wouldn't be buying/recommending seagate in the future. They actually
bothered to respond! Something like: we're sorry, but we do offer a
number of other drives that are fully compatible. basically
sidestepping my questions and writing me off as a customer. oh well.