ppp set up

Hi,
I still cannot set up dial up internet connection for Debian Etch. Help!
I try to install the wvdial program but get

'Error: Dependency is not satisfied: libaniconf4.2'

so no joy there.

I have installed the ppp program as advised in a help section of the Debian.org site but when I type in 'pppconfig' as advised on the root terminal, it doesn't recognise the command.

I cant' find a program called 'ppppam' that the help notes advised me to install with the 'ppp' program.

Please help me to resolve my problem (if possible in simple, clear layman's language) or direct me to easy to follow, comprehensive instructions. I am trying to break away from the microsoft monopoly, but drowning in the process.

Thanks