Re: texlive no longer honours $TEXMFHOME?

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, martin f krafft wrote:

Hi there,

Since Debian started using texlive, I cannot get mktexlsr to index
my personal texmf tree in ~/.etc/texmf. I have set $TEXMFHOME to
this path (and also tried it with $HOME/texmf, which is the
default), but when I run mktexlsr, it just skips the directory.

Not all directories in TEXMF use the ls-R files. Look for TEXMFDBS in the (debian generated) texmf.cnf file. By default, only the entries in TEXMF that have the "!!" (use only ls-R) prefix are used for TEXMFDBS.

The source of the problem seems to be kpsewhich:

 kpsewhich --show-path=ls-R

this does not include $HOME at all.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get kpsewhich --show-path=ls-R to
honour $TEXMFHOME again?

You can add TEXMFHOME to the TEXMFDBS list in the source configuration file and regenerate texmf.cnf.

Are you sure you need this? Unless your $HOMETEXMF is on a network server or you have lots of files there, the overhead of ls-R searches probably exceeds the cost of direct filesystem searches.

--
George N. White III  <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>