mySQL and 'testing'

Sorry if this repeats a previous query.... I did scan the list of topics
but couldn't spot this.

I am running the 'testing' version.   I came back from 3 weeks offline
and simply let synaptic gather all the updates and apply them (OK.. yes
, that was probably a bit dumb... but too late now)...
Everything seemed to go ok until I went to log in to mySQL.  and it cant
find the socket.  I tried to update the files using the mysql-client and
mysql-server, and although the client ran OK the server complains about
an unspecified dependency error and a corrupt server file.

Has anyone else come across this, or should I start panicking now?
Thanks
Ian