Re: OT: laser printer: HL-5250DN or another one?

----- Original Message ----- From: "H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: OT: laser printer: HL-5250DN or another one?

Russell L. Harris wrote:
* H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> [071023 17:07]:
If I under the specs of the above two printer properly, both are
postscript printers:
2070N:  PCL6, IBM Proprinter, Epson FX
5250DN: PCL6, BR-Script3, IBM Proprinter, Epson FX

and these are the ports that they have:
2070N:  10/100 Base-TX Ethernet, Parallel, USB
5250DN: 10/100 Base-TX Ethernet, Parallel, Hi-Speed USB 2.0

I was actually looking just for the 10/100 ethernet ports to connect the
printer to a switch on the little office network that we have there. How
does this relate to HP JetDirect ethernet interface? And, er, what is HP
JetDirect and wouldn't it exist only in HP printers?

thanks,
->HS

Forgive me; I misread your letter.

The specifications you cite above do NOT indicate Postscript
capability; look for the term "Postscript".  Postscript is a universal
printer control language which is a much-preferred alternative to
proprietary languages such as PCL6, etc.

I was just now reading about PCL6 and Postscript and their relation to
printers. So, as I have just discovered, printers supporting Postscript
language are way more expensive than the ones I mentioned originally.
The HL-5250DN is available here in Canada for $203.99 + tax. And the
HL-2070N is for $171 + tax. If I look for a different printer which has
a 10/100 base-TX connection and supports postscript, then the price
jumps significantly!

In general, text output in Linux is Postscript by default; numerous
other printer control languages are accommodated, but sometimes the
process of accomodation becomes rather involved, and doesn't always
work quite right.

HP JetDirect is the generic name which HP uses for its ethernet
interface, which typically is a plug-in module which can vary from one
printer model to the next.

My point (which I did not make very well) was that a printer with
Postscript capability and a built-in ethernet interface typically is
well worth the price, because of the time savings which accumulate
over the years.  Configuring Linux for a non-Postscript printer and
making a parallel- or usb-interface printer available to other
machines on the LAN can be very expensive, if your time is worth
anything.

I now understand your point very well. Had there been more money
available, I would definitely have recommended as PS printer supporting
networking. The Brother printers above support the network. I have the
HL-2070N at my home connected to a switch and used by a Debian machine,
a Ubuntu machine and a Windows machine without any problems. Installing
the printer in Debian was a breeze. Windows is never a problem :) I know
that is not Postscript, but so far it has worked very well. So I am
expecting PCL6 shouldn't be a problem with 5250DN either.

Your comments, however, have clarified a few doubts I had. Thanks.

regards,
->HS

RLH