Re: [overworked] How to get the local a Remote-X-Display?

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:33:03 +0200
Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Maybe I am overworked one have the Alzheimer...
>
> So my problem:
>
> I have a Workstation and a broken (display) Laptop.  ssh(d) is working
> and now I like to get the X-Display running on my workstation with the
> server on my laptop.
>
>     ssh -X michelle.konzack@laptop "startx -- :1"
>
> is not the thing I need since it start the display (invisible, because
> the display is broken) on my Laptop, - Aghhhh!
>
> How can I get the Display on my workstation?
>
> Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
>     Michelle Konzack
>     Tamay Dogan Network

To export the entire desktop from the laptop to the workstation, you
have to set up XDMCP. The various display managers support that
protocol. See http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/xauth-9.html#ss9.3 for
details of how to set up xdm with XDMCP.

When that is done, you issue the following command on the workstation:

    X :1 -query laptop

Also, you can browse the local network if you have gdm installed on the
workstation.

--

Liam