Re: Strange X problem--right mouse kills X

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 11:38:19 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 09:41:08 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> After updating my Sid system yesterday I've noticed a rather funky
>> thing--X dies when I use my right mouse button.
>>
>> Are other people noticing the same thing?
>
>I found that non-US keyboard layouts were no longer working after this
>morning's upgrade. It seems that the combination of the newest version
>of hal (0.5.10-1) with xserver-xorg-input-evdev (1:1.2.0~git20070819-3)
>causes some problems with xorg input devices.
>
>In my case I found that either downgrading hal (and hal-info) or
>uninstalling xserver-xorg-input-evdev fixes the problem.
>
>You could try if one of these actions helps with your mouse issue.
>(There are a few mouse-related bug reports open against the
>xserver-xorg-input-evdev package, but I did not look at them more
>closely.)

Yes, I did some testing and I suspect it's evdev that's messing with me.
I have a Logitech cordless mouse and keyboard that go through the same
USB connection.  The confusing thing is that it seems the multimedia
keys goes through the mouse channel rather than the keyboard channel.  I
suspect that's the cause for X thinking my mouse has 96 keys :-)

I'll try rolling back to an earlier version later today and report back.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus