Re: Help with Debian Install

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 10:54:51PM -0000, Ed wrote:

> I am not really sure.  This is an old computer, but years ago, it had
> Redhat Linux 7 and Windows 95 dual boot running fine.  As time went by,
> this computer was replaces with newer ones and slowly became obsolete.
> Now I want to revive it and probably make it a print server, and maybe
> web browser only machine, only running linux.  I have never used debian
> before, but heard it was a good candidate for an old machine.  On my
> other machines I run fedora 6 or 7. (and yes, I run Windows 2000 or XP)
>
> Is there a way I can find out the network card and driver without taking
> the machine apart.  It is in kind of a hard place to get at right now.

Just do a minimal install from the netinst.iso.  When you get to
choosing a mirror, choose none.  Let it try to contact
security.debian.org, which will fail, but it will put a commented-out
line in your sources.list file.

When you get to task selector, deselect everything.  You will then just
get a base install minimal system.

When you boot into the system and log in for the first time, you can
type:
# dmesg | less

and look for what hardware was found.  The dmesg is a ring-buffer that
is filled by the kernel as hardware is found by the drivers.  You should
see everything.

However, if this computer doesn't have a PCI bus but instead and
ISA/EISA bus, then there may be some more work to do since the hardware
set-up is different and not so automatic.

What kind of computer is this:

Processor:
Memory:
Hard drive space:
System bus type:

As long as you are able to install a base system, dmesg will tell you
most of this.

Doug.