dpkg not changing files in /boot after kernel upgrade

Hello.

I have been using the 2.6.18-4-powerpc kernel on my system for a while now
because, when the 2.6.21 kernel came out, it introduced a few bugs that
significantly diminished the performance of the system. I wanted to see if the
newer 2.6.21 still has this problem of if it has been repaired.

I opened aptitude and installed linux-image-2.6-powerpc, which also installed
linux-image-2.6.21-2-powerpc. The packages were apparently installed
successfully, but when I rebooted, it booted into the old kernel.

I looked at the /boot directory, and none of the links had changed. Here's the
output from when I reconfigured the kernel packages:

Running depmod.
Finding valid ramdisk creators.
Using mkinitramfs-kpkg to build the ramdisk.
Not updating initrd symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled
(2.6.21-6 was configured last, according to dpkg)
Not updating image symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled
(2.6.21-6 was configured last, according to dpkg)
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/mkvmlinuz

Why is it not updating the links - I had a version of 2.6.21, but I removed it a
long time ago. Is there a way to get dpkg to realize that it does need to modify
the symbolic links?

Thank you for any help,
Sean