Re: which program in sarge can zip files

H,
On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 03:35:13PM -0400, qipaishi wrote:
> zip can, but user can't decide whether to store or to deflate files.
>
> Which program can let user decide  to store files (not deflate)?

Are you looking for tool to store files into one archive file without
compression?

In Unix world,
 * ar
 * tar
 * cpio

These are popular. The first one may not be for your normal data.  If it
is source file tree, tar will be my first choice.  If it is for the
selective back up, I go for cpio.

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-archiving
  http://wiki.debian.org/DRData#head-41641f58c745a8db2f49f46fbd665ea657a3fc85

As mentioned by someone else, zip can store file without compression but
that is not common thing to do unless you want people using other OS to
read it.

Osamu