Re: can't receive mail

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Steve Kleene wrote:

I am trying to replace my old Red Hat 6 mail server with an Etch machine.

Welcome

At the moment, the Etch machine can send mail but not receive it.  In all cases
I am using sendmail.

The default installation of sendmail only listens on localhost.

Check /etc/mail/sendmail.mc for DAEMON_OPTIONS(.. lines, it likely contains
	', Addr=127.0.0.1'
if it does, remove that string - leaving the rest of the line intact.
then, `make -C /etc/mail`  to rebuild sendmail.cf
lastly, /etc/init.d/sendmail restart

  3. If I switch the Ethernet connection back to Old Syrano, the message
     is delivered there with some delay.  It appears to have been waiting at
     a mail relay within the university system.

Exactly, email is a store-and-forward system, your new box was not
accepting mail from the world - and thus got suck on an earlier hop.

--
Rick Nelson
Connection reset by some moron with a backhoe