Re: bash vs. python scripts - which one is better?

On Aug 13, 2007, at 11:31 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
There's a big difference: GCC is useless for the end user. And
I don't think that old GCC versions are really necessary.

They are if you need to compile old software. Some stuff just won't build with newer GCC versions.

Also, your end users are clearly different than mine. My users compile stuff pretty frequently, often crusty old software used by some research project or other.

One of my systems has four versions of GCC installed, but that's probably overkill; one from each major version (2.x, 3.x, and 4.x) would probably be sufficient.