Re: web page accessibility :: PDF and print versions

* Gary Parker <reverend@churchofbacon.org> [070722 00:56]:
> Russell L. Harris <rlharris <at> oplink.net> writes:
> > I am attempting to accommodate visitors with impaired vision, by
> > generating a HTML version of each PDF document, in order to enable a
> > visitor to enlarge the type via the browser.

> How do you create the pdfs?  There might be an alternate route for processing
> your sources.  For example, I often use tth to convert my latex files to html.

A guru I hired years ago set up a makefile for me; the makefile
automatically regenerates the entire web site.  The makefile calls
rubber with the --pdf option.  According to the rubber man page, it
appears that pdf is generated by pdfLaTeX.

> I haven't tried HeVeA, but I am about to.

Several months ago, I tried every HTML generator I could find, and
none of them held a candle to HeVeA.  All of the others had serious
defects in the output, the correction of which (if correction was
possible) would have required extensive revision of the LaTeX
documents.

All that is necessary with HeVeA is to partition off a few "latexonly"
and "htmlonly" environments within the head and tail of the LaTeX
documents.

> > But sometimes a visitor needs to be able to print out hardcopy for
> > reading off-line.  I do not know to specify the font size used in the
> > print version of a HTML document.  What is the mechanism?  Does a
> > browser access a default style sheet for printing?
>
> Once you have the html you could easily link it to a style sheet dictating the
> font properties.

That is something I don't know how to do.  However, I do know a little about
cascading style sheets from my experience with WordPress; I wrote a
CSS for printing out my blog.

> However in most browsers you can scale the printed page in some sort of "page
> setup" area.  I am pretty sure that M$ Internet Explorer prints the text size
> that the user selects.  I know that firefox/iceweasel allows you to scale the
> printout.

Then I need to learn how to do that, so I can post a HOWTO for
visitors to my web site.

> If not then the files could be opened in a word processor and the text size
> easily increased.

That is the approach I would take, but it appears to be beyond the
capability of most Window$ users.

RLH