Re: [OT] ip vs. ifconfig

also sprach Martin Marcher <martin.marcher@gmail.com> [2007.07.12.0014 +0200]:
> recent digging around in several network setups and the corresponding
> google searches lead me to several sites suggesting that "ifconfig" is
> deprecated in favor of "ip" (package iproute).

That's not entirely true, it's more like ifconfig exists on most
every Unix system while ip is a younger contender which can do
*much* more with a much improved user interface, but it has not been
ported everywhere.

I agree with you fully and part of my mission is to get rid of all
ifconfig dependencies on standard Debian systems.

If you do like to help push iproute over ifconfig, maybe you would
like to check out http://netconf.alioth.debian.org and become part
of the development team?

minchinhampton (n.): the expression on a man's face when he has just
zipped up his trousers without due care and attention.
                               -- douglas adams, the meaning of liff