Re: Installing a JRE plug-in

andy wrote:
> Jeff D wrote:
> >>When I go to http://www.java.com/en/ and click the link that asks "Do
> >>I have java?", which opens
> >>http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1 then
> >>the result is
> >>that I don't have the recommended version for my browser (iceweasel).
> >>I have removed sun-java6 and installed sun-java5, run the
> >>update-java-alternatives command and still get the same result. The
> >>recommended version of java the sun/java site is 6.1

Sun will always recommend their latest version.  Doesn't everyone
always prefer their latest work?

> >>Now it is quite possible that the site may default to that in order
> >>to promote its latest release, so I am quite willing to consider that
> >>another java-rich site may provide a better/more accurate test. Do
> >>you know of any site that may prove a worthwhile place to test the
> >>java installation?

By (my) definition there no good sites that use Java. :-/

Actually I realized by this discussion that I did not have Java
installed on my laptop.  I installed it as part of this testing.  But
I never missed it there and I surf the web a lot from it.  Unless
there is a particular web application written in Java that you need to
run you won't need it.  Of course if you do then you will.  At my
previous work we had corporate software that ran in Java and so I
needed it there.  But anecdotally it is not very prevalent.

> >I get the same thing.  It looks like the java site is complaining
> >because the version in the repositories its 6.0 and not the newest
> >6.1.  I personally haven't had any problems with the version of java
> >provided from the debian repositories.  All the sites I have visited
> >have been just fine.

Agreed.  But as a challenge I might ask that you uninstall it, keep
the deb available of course, and then see just how long you go before
you run into a site that needs it.  Most sites seem content to use
JavaScript, which is as you know completely different and unrelated
except by name, and I do not miss Java at all.

The fun thing about this is that if you find that you do need Java for
a site that you can install it and it will become available in
iceweasil immediately without restarting it.  Iceweasil will load the
module dynamically.  So there is almost no penalty.  If you need it
then install it and you are off and running without further delay.

> ... so now that I feel more reassured that it is site-specific
> rather than for my browser/set up ...

Is there a particular site that is still causing you trouble?

You can use java-package to create your own deb packages from the
latest Java.  I just verified that this works for the latest Sun Java
6.1 and when installed this way the Sun Java query site does not
complain.  And there are advantages to using the package created by
java-package.

  $ sudo apt-get install java-package
  $ make-jpkg jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin
  $ sudo dpkg -i sun-j2re1.6_1.6.0+update1_i386.deb

If you do this you will probably want to remove all other
implementations of java.

  $ sudo apt-get remove --purge sun-java5-jre
  $ sudo apt-get remove --purge sun-java6-jre

If the alternatives symlinks are problematic then review them.  Please
pardon the quite long one-liner.

  $ for i in $(ls /etc/alternatives); do update-alternatives --display $i; done | awk '/status.is.manual/{print$1}'

If those all are something that you want to reset to automatic then
this can be done using the same generated list.  Otherwise simply grep
out the ones that you want or don't want.

  $ for i in $(ls /etc/alternatives); do update-alternatives --display $i; done | awk '/status.is.manual/{print$1}' | xargs -l sudo update-alternatives --auto

Bob