Re: restarting pump (DHCP) automatically when network unavailable at boot time

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> But then, I don't see why I should use 'allow-hotplug eth0' instead of
> 'auto eth0'.

It is not required to use allow-hotplug but that is the new way of
doing things.  The new debian-installer will set things up with
allow-hotplug.  Then machines such as laptops with a pcmcia slot or
usb device can have network devices go online and offline in a nice
hotplug fashion.  Same for any other hotpluggable device.

But this is not required.  You could use 'auto' and then things will
happen at boot time (only) the same as it used to do before.  For a
machine without any hotplugable devices then it shouldn't matter which
way things are configured and both should "just work".  Both
configurations "just work" for me.

Note that '/etc/init.d/networking restart' only affects 'auto' devices
and not 'allow-hotplug' devices.  This makes sense since this is the
old way of starting things up at boot time but it can catch people off
guard when they have not been exposed to this before.  I am sure there
is a way to trigger the udev scripts to run the hotplug device scripts
too but I don't know how at this moment.

> But on the other machine (on which I have the problem I mentioned at
> the beginning of this thread), when I type "pump -i eth1" (again, the
> device exists but is down and not connected), I also get the error
> message "Operation failed." as expected, but "pump -i eth1" is no
> longer running. I think this can explain my problem if it can be
> confirmed on eth0 too (I'll have to try that).

I am not sure why operation failed is expected.  I expect that to
succeed.

Bob