Re: how to install ntfs-3g from etch-backports

Steffen Joeris wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 09:25:08 pm baldyeti wrote:
>> Added the necessary line to sources.list, yet apt-get
>> won't find the package.
>>
>> # apt-get -s -t etch-backports install ntfs-3g
>>
>> I cannot seem to make this work; thanks for any help.
> The only ntfs-3g package I could find on backports.org is a backport for
> sarge. It seems that there is no backport for etch, sorry.
> If you need somebody to build the package for me, then ping me via private
> mail, but I do not really use it. Therefore, I won't maintain the backport :(

[...]

I would guess that the reason there is no backport is that ntfs-3g seems to need
 kernel >= 2.6.20 and Etch is 2.6.18. The problem seems to be that an older fuse
driver is built into the kernel. You can generate a new fuse module from the
latest fuse tarball, but I don't know whether you can load it into the kernel
and override the built-in driver. I would think not.

If you are prepared to accept reduced functionality with the existing fuse
driver, you can build from source. Perhaps you could upgrade your kernel too.
Here is what I did (kernel 2.6.18):

Download fuse from http://fuse.sourceforge.net/
Extract the tarball.
$ ./configure --exec-prefix=/
$ make
# make install
(Make detects that fuse is already in the kernel. I did not force the generation
of a kernel module.)

Download fuse from http://www.ntfs-3g.org/
Extract the tarball.
$ ./configure
$ make
# make install

Read the man page
$ man ntfs-3g

Mount the NTFS partition
# mkdir /mnt/win
# ntfs-3g /dev/hda1 /mnt/win
WARNING: Deficient Linux kernel detected. Some driver features are
         not available (swap file on NTFS, boot from NTFS by LILO), and
         unmount is not safe unless it's made sure the ntfs-3g process
         naturally terminates after calling 'umount'. If you wish this
         message to disappear then you should upgrade to at least kernel
         version 2.6.20, or request help from your distribution to fix
         the kernel problem. The below web page has more information:
         http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#fuse26

Simple test
# cd /mnt/win
# ls
AUTOEXEC.BAT  IO.SYS        ntldr          RECYCLER  WINNT
boot.ini      MSDOS.SYS     pagefile.sys   Setup
CONFIG.SYS    NTDETECT.COM  Program Files  TEMP

# cd /mnt
# umount /mnt/win

Hope that helps.

--