Re: Couple setting questions

Douglas Allan Tutty  wrote / napísal(a):
On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 08:59:05PM +0200, Vladimir Strycek wrote:
Douglas Allan Tutty  wrote / napísal(a):
On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 06:08:28PM +0200, Vladimir Strycek wrote:
i returned to debian after abou 3/4 year with gentoo, i had my box up and running in moments but there is one or two issues i noticed.

1. Apache seems to not recognize charset setting in page

2. mc commander look realy wierd its like all borders have letter insted of lines...

Anybody had similar issues and solved them ?
Is this from the console or from an xterm?
Etch now uses UTF-8 locales by default so text stuff needs to run in a
UTF-8 aware xterm or equivalent.

Its ssh console to the server

Yup, I ran into that when my 486 workstation running Sarge ssh'd to my
new Athlon64 workstation running Etch.

On your workstation console (not X, save that for later), type $ echo $LANG

and see what you have.

Then ssh into the server and do that and see what LANG is there.

If they don't match then you'll get wiierd characters instead of things
like line-draws.

When I had that problem, my 486 was 'C' while my Athlon64 was
en_CA.UTF-8.  So when I ssh'd to the Athlon, I typed:
	$ LANG=C

and then everything was fine.

The 486 wouldn't run Etch so I cobled together a PII that would.  Now
both boxes are en_CA.UTF-8 and I don't have to do anything.

Doug.

Thanks man, LANG=C solved the mc problem. will it stay that way after restart ?