Re: cannot access machine after apt-get dist-upgrade

On 05/31/2007 01:03 PM, Robert Cates wrote:
Hi all,

I've just decided to upgrade my Sarge server to Etch, which the process
itself seemed to go very smoothly, but now after rebooting it does not
bring up my eth0 and eth1, nor can I input any on the keyboard.  In
other words, I'm now locked out.

The last thing I did was installed kernel/linux image 2.6.18 (with SMP),
so I have both the original 2.6.8 as well as the new 2.6.18.  Now,
regardless of which kernel I boot, I'm locked out.  Is there a way I can
still access my machine?  I'll like to avoid having to completely
re-install from fresh.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

If you installed the 'bash_static' package, you can probably boot by specifying it as a parameter to 'init' on the kernel command line. I think it's done like so:

Linux init=/bin/bash-static

Please read this entire section:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html

Also see this:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html#s-un-bootable

Legend has it that that Woody install CD (#1) allowed you to use it as a rescue disk by specifying certain boot parameters:

rescue root=/dev/sda1

The Sarge install CD #1 didn't have this feature, but I think it is back in Etch; I did have to rescue an Etch system recently using the Etch install CD, but the procedure was different; I remember selecting "rescue" from a menu.

I've had an unbootable system before, and it's not necessarily fun. I've always been able to fix it using some combination of rescue disks and installation/uninstallation of certain packages.