Re: deranged mouse behaviour with ibm thinkpad t31

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 02:29:46AM +0300, Micha Feigin wrote:
> I am installing linux on a thinkpad t31. Most things work, but I think that the
> mouse is setup wrong since after playing with the mouse (it's the red point in
> the middle of the keyboard, not sure what it's called) for a few seconds to
> minutes (not consistent) it suddenly goes crazy opening windows, pressing
> buttons and flying all over the place. To release it I need to let go of the
> mouse for a couple of seconds and then it goes back to normal until the next
> time.

I think it's called a "trackpoint" officially. Unofficial names like
"nipple", "clit" are not unheard of either :-)

I suffered that on my old Dell too - although it would not actually
"click", just run off into a random corner/edge and refuse to come out.

USB mice worked flawlessly, but since the mouse pointer would be
affected by the *sum* of mouse movements, I had to compensate by weird
(and fast) USB mouse gymnastics (which can make others doubt your
sanity, but that's a different issue).

Sometimes this would go on for minutes, sometime for seconds. But only
when I was using they keyboard.

Although I managed to reconfigure the mouse driver to ignore the nipple,
things still weren't right: the nipple would "hog" the PS/2 connection
whenever it went on the run and thus prevent my touchpad from working
reliably.  Symptoms: "Jumpy" mouse pointer when using the touchpad, but
USB mice worked flawlessly.

This turned out to be a hardware problem: The nipple sensor mechanism
was hypersensitive to God-Knows-What. I suspect that moisture or old age
finally took its toll.

My solution was to disassemble the laptop and physically disconnecting
the wire running to it...

> I tried setting the protocol to ImPS/2 and auto which behave the same and to
> GlidePoint which doesn't function at all. device is /dev/input/mice

Does USB mice work?

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/