Re: I am ANGRY with Debian.

   Dear Nic:

Nic James Ferrier wrote:
> My name is Nic Ferrier. I am really ANGRY at Debian.
> > Oh dear. emacs-snapshot is quite old and not recent at all.

   I'm sorry you're upset.  I can certainly understand distaste for an
old emacs---I'm a hardcore emacs user myself.

> Hmmm,
> what's happened to that I wonder? I go ask the maintainer of the
> package. He tells me that Debian want him to remove the free
> documentation from inside Emacs, a ludicrous suggestion frankly[.]

   I'm also sorry the maintainer disagrees with Debian's vote on the
GFDL.  IIRC, the GFDL with no restrictions (invariant sections, etc.)
is acceptable.

   _But_, please put anger aside a moment and examine the GFDL with
unbiased eyes.  If a document has an invariant section, then you have a
file
	a) with a lump of lead inside that has to be dragged around
	   with the document, forever, and
	b) whose guts cannot be cut and pasted into other documents
	   without replicating that lump of lead, no matter how close or
	   distant the relation between the two documents.

You're not allowed to change or discard that lump.  Isn't it at least
*understandable* that many believe this document is unfree?

> I am so angry with what is being done that I want to
> stop using [Debian].
> If political decisions can so alter the package base it is not the
> operating system for me.

   Obviously there are wide differences of opinion, but please respect
Debian's democratic organization, and disagree without enmity.

--
	    Best wishes,

	    	 Max Hyre