Re: vesa display codes (Etch Xorg memory leak?)

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 12:35:57PM EDT, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 08:18:37AM -0400, cga2000 wrote:

> > > Not necessarily. It should work if you inlcude the module in your
> > > initrd.
> >
> > How is the initrd going to help if the module does not exist in the
> > first place?
>
> You're right, the rivafb module is not compiled, but vesafb is compiled
> in and it should work with the correct vga=...

This actually should work if both "vesafb" and the "native driver" (in
this instance "rivafb") are compiled in.

Would allow you to switch on the fly (in grub) by specifying:

kernel ... video=vesafb:1024x768
kernel ... video=rivafb:1024x768

.. so you can use either with the same kernel.

The above would be clean and simple .. but I'm not sure that's the way
things work (haven't tested it) ..

It would help if the OP could explain _how_ it doesn't work.

_Owen_,

What do you get ..  a kernel oops .. a black screen of death .. a vga
console with oversized fonts ..?

With little detail about what's happening .. I would suggest building a
kernel with support for you hardware built in .. rather than provided
via a module.  That's how I eventually got this to work with a 2.4.27
kernel & atyfb/mach64.

> There is a nvidiafb module, maybe the OP can try that?

> > What I was saying is that support for his card may have been included in
> > whatever kernel he's using .. either built-in or as a module.
>
> Sorry, I thought you were telling him he needs to recompile the kernel.
> I missed the "may".

I suspect that debian kernels are compiled w/o native driver support
because the sum total of all the specific drivers ends up support only a
subset of the hundreds or video cards & chipsets available .. and since
once they're present they would appear to preempt vesa support .. So, I
would say I am reasonably confident he will end up making his own custom
kernel if he wants to use the native driver for his video card.

> If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
> (Albert Einstein)

So that's where I ran into this little jewel, then.  Actually grepped my
fortune database for it the other day to check on the exact wording.

Thanks,
cga