Re: [OT] Best of UNIX/Linux Books that you can't stop reading

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 02:08:34PM +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
> Can eveyone list the best of UNIX/Linux books. In other words the
> books that doesn't let you leave it.

man bash :)

Invaluable (at various times): Running Linux - Matt Welsh et. al.

Esential System Administration - Aileen Frisch

DNS and Bind - Cricket Liu

Software Portability with Make - the new one and the older Make book.

Mastering Regular Expressions

Building Secure Servers with Linux

- all O'Reilly books.

Ed Krol's Whole Internet Guide now seems wonderfully dated and reminds
me what a long strange trip it's been for me with Linux since about
1995.

Classic Shell Scripting seems good: Martin Krafft's Debian System book
has taught me a whole lot even after 10 or more years with Debian.

The most useful UNIX learning experience I've had [apart from the time
when I managed to nuke most of /usr and had to unpack .debs by hand for
a day using tar cpio and ar till the system was back together :( ] was
building GCC 3.4 and 4.0 on Solaris - suddenly discovering that you
needed to build sed, tar, make, binutils in order to build GCC and
then bootstrapping GCC itself and rebuilding its toolchain with itself.

It taught a lot about dependencies and precisely _why_ packaging and
policy and standards were important. Possibly good for you, in the same
way that boarding school discipline, open windows in the winter,
cold soggy toast for breakfast and cold showers are good for you,
but ideally GCC compilation on Solaris should be a one time only
experience :)

To echo someone else, earlier this week: "Ancora imparo - I'm still
learning" :)

Andy