Re: running qemu on an AMD64 box to host Windows 98......

Michael Fothergill wrote:

> There were some references to running qemu on AMD64 but mostly indirect ones.
>
> Has anyone tried this?

Yes, works just fine.

> At a dumb level, is qemu smart enough to "fake" the 32 bit environment on my 64 bit box running Debian AMD64 OS that MS Windows 98 would be happy to run on or would it only let you run a 64 bit version of  MSWindows on a 64 bit machine like mine?

AMD64 is an extension of i386 architecture, not a completely different
architecture. To put it short i386 + new features = AMD64. So if the OS
is a i386 32-bit one, it will simply not use the new features, but will
work just fine.

Also, QEMU emulates a 32-bit i386 system by default, even on AMD64.

> (In Debian I will just install the qemu package with synaptic).

Yes.

[...]

> Would these commands work OK in the AMD64 world?

Yes. The same as on i386.

> Your comments on the merits of qemuctl and qemu-launcher would be appreciated.

"qemu-launcher" will give you a user friendly GUI for configuring all
the options, and do other useful things, and "qemuctl" is a plug-in for
"qemu-launcher" that provides a GUI for controlling some run-time
options. Grab both.

If you will run "qemu-launcher" from the terminal, it will output the
command line needed to run the QEMU with the chosen options, so it is
also useful for learning.

If you have any questions or suggestions regarding "qemu-launcher", do
not hesitate to contact me on-list or privately. I like email. :)

Owen Heisler wrote:

> The kqemu-source package is in Debian.
> (in non-free for etch, otherwise in main)
>
> Just install the kqemu-source package and run "m-a a-i kqemu"

Also on AMD64 system, you should check if your CPU supports hardware
virtualization (run "egrep '^flags.*(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo" and see if
anything shows up). If so, you could try using "kvm", which may be
faster than "kqemu".

Regards,
Linas