Re: dumpkeys on login [was keyboard tweaking without X]

On 18 May 2007 Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:

>On 2007-05-18, Mike McClain <mike.mcclain@nowhere.net> wrote:
>> On 18 May 2007 Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> asked:
>>> Ok, I sorted this out with
>>> dumpkeys | sed -f /etc/console-tools/remap | loadkeys
>>
>> grep -r /etc/console-tools/remap /etc/*
>> Will show you that /etc/init.d/console-screen.sh already does what you want.
>
>I rebooted this morning, and it didn't work, notwithstanding the
>output of grep, which does suggest that it should have. I just ran the
>following:
>
>tyler:~-> cat /etc/console-tools/remap
># This sed script is run across the dumpkeys output to remap keys on the console
># This turns caps lock into control
>s/keycode  58 = Shift_Lock/keycode  58 = Alt/;
>
>tyler:~-> dumpkeys | grep " 58"
>keycode  58 = Shift_Lock
>
>So whatever happens in the files you had me grep, it's not modifying
>the keymap...

/etc/rcS.d/S48console-screen.sh --> ../init.d/console-screen.sh

I added the 2 following lines to /etc/console-tools/remap:
s/keycode 125 =/keycode 125 = Control/;
s/keycode 127 =/keycode 127 = Control/;
then ran `/etc/rcS.d/S48console-screen.sh restart`
    this assigned Control to L & R windows keys

from /etc/inittab:
    si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

from /etc/init.d/rcS:
    for i in /etc/rcS.d/S??*
    do       case "$i" in
                    *.sh)   # Source shell script for speed.
                            (       trap - INT QUIT TSTP
                                    set start
                                    . $i
                            )
                            ;;
                    *)      # No sh extension, so fork subprocess.
                            $i start
                            ;;
            esac
    done

root@deb31:~> set start; . /etc/rcS.d/S48console-screen.sh
    this also worked

I rebooted and the assignments in /etc/console-tools/remap were applied,
so I'm not sure why yours would not. Since it's sourced,
/etc/rcS.d/S48console-screen.sh doesn't need to be executable, likewise
/etc/init.d/console-screen.sh or /etc/console-tools/remap.
I'd suggest using od to be sure you don't have a tab instead of a space
in /etc/console-tools/remap.
HTH,
Mike