[OT] Re: .profile, .Xmodmap, xorg.conf have no effect

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 09:00:06 +0200, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 May 2007 22:35:42 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>>> On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 22:00:32 +0200, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
>>> Dear all
>>>
>>> After my success with Debian Etch on a PowerBook-G4 I tried installing
>>> Debian  on a second PowerBook-G4, which is basically identical to my
>>> 'first' machine. However, with the second PowerBook, changes in xorg.conf
>>> (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) have no effect (I tried to setup the keyboard --
>>> right now I have to manually type 'setxkbmap ch -model macintosh' after
>>> each login to get a proper keymap). Also, the .profile, .Xmodmap, and
>>> .xinitrc files in my home are ignored.
>>>
>>> Any ideas or hints?
>> The first things to check are the error messages and warnings in the
>> Xorg log file. Run the following command and post its output:
>> egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> Since you seem to have a problem with the config file and/or the default
>> settings, I would also like to see the results of:
>> egrep '^\((==|\*\*)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> Also tell us how exactly you start X. From your message I get the
>> impression that you use a graphical login manager, but which one? (xdm,
>> kdm, gdm, ...)
>
> Thank you for helping me again!

No problem. Repeat customers get charged only half my normal rate. ;)

> Talk about computers... this morning I boot the machine, et voila,
> xorg.conf worked! And the .Xmodmap seems to have done it's magic, too.
> Don't ask me why, I didn't change anything during the night (except maybe
> its a new day and I slept very well...).

Well, that kind of behavior should normally be reserved for that other
operating system...

Maybe you installed a few additional packages or upgraded some others.
That sometimes means that a number of system services need to be
restarted to avoid inconsistent behavior. (You can use "checkrestart"
from package "debian-goodies" to test for such cases.) If you did not do
a full reboot before going to bed then this might be the explanation. In
any case I would not worry about it too much for now. If such
inconsistent behavior happens more often then it might be wise to check
a few hardware-related things. (Just start a new thread describing your
symptoms if you really should have problems in the future.)

> However, while xorg.conf and .Xmodmap now work, the other files still have
> no effect. What I find especially annoying is that my .profile is not doing
> anything at all. If I execute it manually, things work as expected, though.

I have to admit that I don't know the details of how the different login
managers source or don't source certain files. My ~/.xinitrc for example
only has an effect if I use "startx" directly but not if I log in from
kdm. ~/.Xresources seems to work reliably to make additions to the X
resource database in all cases, though.

For everything related to bash (the normal shell/command line
environment) I put my customizations into ~/.bash_aliases. That file is
sourced by ~/.bashrc (if it exists) and .bashrc is sourced by
~/.bash_profile in the default Debian setup. (The files in /etc/skel/
determine how these things are set up for each new user that you
create.)

To set KDE-wide environmental variables, I found it most reliable to use
a script in ~/.kde/env, as described in "man startkde". I don't now the
best place for such things in Gnome.

> Just for completeness the result from the log files you asked are appended
> below. I don't know what to say regarding 'the way I start X'. It just
> starts up automatically when I boot the computer. I guess that's the way
> it's set up with the default installation from the CD (it's the net-install
> disk for Debian Etch, btw.).

[ snip: the log excerpts ]

Your log files look pretty OK to me, it seems that you are up and
running without any major problems.

          Florian   |