Re: How to get the original configuration of a package

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 03:14:01PM +0800, Gang Qin wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Recently I accidentally deleted the directory: /etc/apache2, could
> anybody help me to restore the original one when I first got by
> 		"apt-get install apache2"?

Perhaps you can restore them from backups?

I know. But the only excuse for lack of backups is "my data is not
important".

Failing that, you'll have to rely on your memory. First you need to
locate the .deb files - if you've used apt-get, you'll probably find
them in /var/cache/apt/archives.

To get you back to the starting point, you'll need to reinstall all the
Apache packages you currently have installed:

1)  List the ones currently installed:
    # dpkg --list '*apache2*' | grep '^ii'
Or alternatively, list the packages which put files in /etc/apache2:
    # dpkg --search etc/apache2

2)  For each package (there's probably more than one), re-install the
corresponding *.deb file:

    # dpkg --install --force-confmiss {{{PACKAGE_vers_arch}}}.deb

Hope this helps
--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/