Troubles with initramfs configuration

Dear All,

I'm having problems with configuring my initramfs so that the /init file
will be executed correctly.

If I have a configuration file for my initramfs as follows with the
simple "hello world" program as my init - it is executed fine.

dir /dev 755 0 0
nod /dev/console 644 0 0 c 5 1
nod /dev/loop0 644 0 0 b 7 0
dir /bin 755 1000 1000
file /bin/busybox ../../initramfs/busybox 755 0 0
slink /bin/ash busybox 777 0 0
dir /proc 755 0 0
dir /sys 755 0 0
dir /mnt 755 0 0
file init ../../initramfs/hello 777 0 0

however, if I replace the "hello world" program with say busybox or a
init.sh shell script, I get an error "Can't find /init to
execute...kernel panic... etc.".

file init ../../initramfs/busybox 777 0 0

Can anyone please give me some pointers?  I'm doing this with the
2.6.21.1 kernel.

Thanks,

Dallas Clement