Re: Control Center Problems in KDE 3.5.5

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 06:28:03 +0000, David Dawson wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > aptitude -F '%?p%?v' search '~i~dkde' | awk '/3\.5\.6/{print $1,$2}'
> Thanks.
> This is what I get from the above command:
> kde-i18n-engb 4:3.5.6-1
> kde-i18n-eo 4:3.5.6-1
> kde-i18n-fr 4:3.5.6-1
>
> Is any package there likely to be involved? If I were to add a non-broken
> i18n-xxx package, would that solve the problem?.

I once had a problem similar to yours when I accidentally upgraded
kdelibs-data to a newer version while the rest of KDE was still at the
older version. The "i18n" packages are less fundamental but they do
contain all the text that is used for British, Esperanto and French
locales. I think it is possible that a version mismatch with these
packages interferes with the KDE Control "Centre". (I don't use any of
the "i18n" packages myself, so I don't know for sure.)

I would try to downgrade these three packages to their 3.5.5 version.

You might still have the old .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives/ and
in that case you can install them with "dpkg -i ...". You can also add
"stable" (or "etch") lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list, run "aptitude
update" and then use

aptitude install kde-i18n-engb=4:3.5.5-1

or

aptitude install kde-i18n-engb/stable
aptitude install kde-i18n-engb/etch

to downgrade. (It works the same with apt-get in case your prefer to use
that.)

After you have downgraded all three packages, restart KDE and hope for
the best.

          Florian   |