Re: epiphany-browser and iceweasel do not start

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 10:01:22PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch <rdorsch@web.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 10. Mai 2007 22:45 schrieb Sven Arvidsson:
> > On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 19:18 +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > > epiphany-browser comes up, but then it most likely crashes during
> > > rendering of the starting page www.debian.org. I run strace with
> > > epiphany, but did not notice a problem. For reference this output is at
> > >
> > > http://www.alzental-castle.de/~rd/epiphany-browser-new.strace
> > >
> > > Not sure what iceweasel and epiphany-browser broke, but any hints what to
> > > check are very welcome.
> >
> > From the strace log:
> > --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
> >
> > You're getting a segfault, which would indicate a bug or something
> > seriously wrong with your setup.
> >
> > I would suggest getting a backtrace, there are instructions available
> > here,
> > http://wiki.debian.org/?HowToGetABacktrace
>
> Sven,
>
> good observation, thanks. I did what you suggested and it looks to me like the
> problem comes out of libxul. NS_RegistryGetFactory () is calling itself many
> times before the crash. I see more details, I tried to run with libxul0d-dbg,
> but I failed. Has anybody an idea why that is or could I do something else?

I can't tell for iceweasel, but for epiphany, the root of your problem
appears in your strace:
stat64("/usr/lib/xulrunner/res/langGroups.properties", 0xbfd0ea80) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
lstat64("/usr/lib/xulrunner/res/langGroups.properties", 0xbfd0ea80) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/usr/lib/xulrunner/res/fonts/fontEncoding.properties", 0xbfd0e7a0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
lstat64("/usr/lib/xulrunner/res/fonts/fontEncoding.properties", 0xbfd0e7a0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

These files are supposed to exist.
The actual files are /usr/share/xulrunner/res/langGroups.properties and
/usr/share/xulrunner/res/fonts/fontEncoding.properties, and
/usr/lib/xulrunner/res should look like this:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 2007-04-09 22:18 /usr/lib/xulrunner/res -> ../../share/xulrunner/res

There is obviously something wrong with your installation, so you should
reinstall libxul0d and libxul-common.

Cheers,

Mike